Subdivision Tips, South Australia (C: +61431138537), https://www.facebook.com/RealEstateSA5000/

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Stobie pole moved away from Kurralta Park garage after stirring controversy

Now you see it, now you don’t: the Stobie pole has been moved 2m, to allow access to the driveway. Local Stobie pole moved away from Kurralta Park garage after stirring controversy Eugene Boisvert, CoastCity Messenger March 7, 2017 8:35pm Subscriber only New Kurralta Park house built with garage behind Stobie pole but who is to blame: council or State Government? THE newly built Adelaide home dubbed the “Stobie-pole house”, after its driveway was curiously built right behind a street power pole that prevented entry to the garage, is now almost accessible. The owners of the Kurralta Park house, Fariba and Sassan Chegini, have paid thousands of dollars to have the Stobie pole moved about two metres to allow access to the Daly St carport. They now just need to wait for a new driveway crossover in front to be finished. The bizarre development sparked controversy in January after a photograph of the driveway with the Stobie pole in front of it was posted on social media. Both the West Torrens Council and the State Government ducked for cover, blaming each other for the planning bungle. Dr and Mrs Chegini said they didn’t realise the pole would prevent entry to the garage until the house – which they plan to rent out – was complete. The same house back in January, with a Stobie pole in front of its garage. West Torrens city development manager Janine Lennon told a council meeting last month that, under State Government regulations, driveway crossovers no longer need approval before a development application for a house can be approved. Keswick Ward councillor John Woodward said he was “glad it’s been fixed” but remains concerns State Government planning rules allowed it. He has started a petition calling for tighter controls – and better quality housing – when it comes to building on land that’s been subdivided. “The quality of what’s being built is not up to scratch,” Cr Woodward said. Neighbour Neale Clarke is concerned developments aren’t being followed up. How the house now looks. Mr Clarke said it was “obvious” there was little in the way of checks and balances once a development had been approved by council. “They could build any old crap,” Mr Clarke said. Mrs Chegini has previously told The Advertiser it would cost up to $20,000 to move the Stobie pole 200cm. SA Power Networks spokesman Paul Roberts agreed it would cost between $8000 and $20,000 to move a pole, depending on the voltage, and if a transformer needed to be moved. Dr and Mrs Cheginis have been contacted for comment. Comments Hide Comments Post comment as... Newest | Oldest | Top Comments Graham Graham 5 hours ago One of SA's major infrastructure projects. LikeReply Andrew Andrew 6 hours ago It would be prudent to present the plans that were approved by the council before making judgments upon them. Is the house situated on the block exactly as the approved development plans showed it? LikeReply Peter Peter 7 hours ago Interesting the SA Power Networks estimated cost to move a stobie pole depending on voltage and if a transformer needed to be moved was quoted by their spokesman between 80000 and $20000, we were told a pole that is very close to our driveway exit point would cost an estimated $30000 for the pole to be moved to allow safer access to our driveway. Now given we pay the highest cost for electricity in Australia, to have a poorly positioned electricity power pole moved is also unaffordable. 2LikeReply david david 10 hours ago The problem is that planning rules & regulations are a dogs breakfast whether its council or government who is at fault. The planning process takes forever & they still get it wrong. The government & the councils must understand that high density living is about the proper design of infrastructure as well as approving smaller blocks & more properties. Perhaps if the power was underground we wouldn't have this problem. 2LikeReply Andrew Andrew 11 hours ago The stobie pole was there long before the block of land was cut in half to build these dog boxes blame the builders for the stuff up. 10LikeReply Irene Irene 1 day ago Looks to me like the council was at fault. As usual and obviously so, seems many councils have been caught out and perhaps had to fix the problems .....and the State Government cover up for the councils of Adelaide who can't do their job......absolutely dumb and the State Government again show disregard for the little guy.....protect yourselves and stuff us. LikeReply Nonindigenous Nonindigenous 1 day ago @Irene In he original story months ago, plans were approved by the Council, then the owners decided to "flip over" the plans. The owners nor the Designers "walked it out" to see where the stobie pole would actually end up. If they did this rs it would shown the final location of the obstruction. Hence why the home owners have to pay for the relocation of the obstruction. The Council are not at fault on this one. Sorry. 19LikeReply Virginia Virginia 20 hours ago @Irene are you serious, the bucks stops with the owner, and thats who paid to get it fix as they should, maybe the planner but stop blaming the government for everything. 5LikeReply

No comments: