Subdivision Tips, South Australia (C: +61431138537), https://www.facebook.com/RealEstateSA5000/

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Libya's official government bombs capital, commander loyal to Tripoli killed

Islamic State calls on backers to kill 100 U.S. military personnel . Reuters Militant Islamist fighters waving flags, travel in vehicles as they take part in a military parade along streets of Syria's northern Raqqa province . View photo Militant Islamist fighters waving flags, travel in vehicles as they take part in a military parade along … WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Islamic State has posted online what it says are the names, U.S. addresses and photos of 100 American military service members, and called upon its "brothers residing in America" to kill them. The Pentagon said after the information was posted on the Internet that it was investigating the matter. "I can't confirm the validity of the information, but we are looking into it," a U.S. defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said on Saturday. "We always encourage our personnel to exercise appropriate OPSEC (operations security) and force protection procedures," the official added. In the posting, a group referring to itself as the "Islamic State Hacking Division" wrote in English that it had hacked several military servers, databases and emails and made public the information on 100 members of the U.S. military so that "lone wolf" attackers can kill them. The New York Times reported that it did not look like the information had been hacked from U.S. government servers and quoted an unnamed Defense Department official as saying most of the information could be found in public records, residential address search sites and social media. The Times quoted officials as saying the list appeared to have been drawn from personnel mentioned in news articles about air strikes on Islamic State. The group's forces control parts of Syria and Iraq and have been targeted in U.S.-led air strikes. The posting, addressed to disbelievers, Christians and "crusaders" in America, included what the group said were the names, military service branch, photos and street addresses of the individuals. The posting includes the military rank of some but not all of those named. (Reporting by Will Dunham and Eric Beech; Editing by Frances Kerry) ================== Libya's official government bombs capital, commander loyal to Tripoli killed . Reuters By Ahmed Elumami and Ayman al-Warfalli 23 minutes ago By Ahmed Elumami and Ayman al-Warfalli Related Stories 1. Libya's recognised government launches air strike on camp in Tripoli Reuters 2. U.N. Libya envoy says renewed fighting threatens talks Reuters 3. Libya forces hit Tripoli airport, to target Misrata: security official Reuters 4. UN says Libyan factions to consult before talks next week Reuters 5. Libya's elected parliament agrees to return to U.N. talks Reuters TRIPOLI/BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - Libya's official government conducted air strikes on Saturday against airports and a military camp in the capital Tripoli, controlled by a rival government, and killed a senior commander loyal to that government, officials said. The internationally recognized government said on Friday that it had launched a military offensive to "liberate" Tripoli, which a group called Libya Dawn seized in August, reinstating a previous parliament. The recognized prime minister, Abdullah al-Thinni, and the elected parliament have been confined to eastern Libya since then. Both administrations and the armed factions loyal to them are fighting for control, four years after Muammar Gaddafi was toppled. A Tripoli official said Salah Burki, a Libya Dawn leader, had been killed west of Tripoli, where a state news agency reported clashes between Libya Dawn and forces from Zintan allied to Thinni. Details were unclear. Another official and some news websites said Burki had been killed in an air strike on a military camp in Tripoli. The United States and five European allies issued a joint statement condemning the violence by both sides and urging an end to the fighting. They welcomed resumption of U.N.-led political talks in Morocco and called for "good faith" efforts to reach a ceasefire and agree on a unity government. Saqer al-Joroushi, an air force commander loyal to the eastern government, said earlier that his aircraft had bombed Mitiga airport in Tripoli and a camp used by Libya Dawn near another airport in the capital. He said they had also attacked the airport in Zuwara, a town near the Tunisian border, west of Tripoli. An airport official said the runway had been hit but there were no casualties. On Friday, U.N. Special Envoy Bernardino Leon said the military offensive threatened international efforts to reach agreement in the next few days on a unity government and lasting ceasefire. Talks are being held in Morocco, the latest in a series of meetings since September bringing together mostly moderates from both sides. Western leaders say the U.N.-brokered talks are the only way to end the chaos in Libya, where Islamist militants have also gained ground. Both sides have attacked each other with warplanes in the past few days. "We are deeply concerned about the growing threat from terrorist groups in Libya, including Da’esh," the United States and its partners Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Spain said in the joint statement, using an alternative Arabic name for Islamic State militants who have seized swathes of Syria and Iraq. They said the U.N.-led talks offered the "best hope" for Libya and also warned that those who impede the process "will be held by accountable," including through international sanctions. (Additional reporting by Ulf Laessing and Omar Fahmy, and Matt Spetalnick in Washington; Editing by Kevin Liffey and Stephen Powell)

No comments: